value list - include only related values starting from...

aeu

This topic is 5458 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a rather newbish question about value list relationships, specifically when using "only related values starting from...". If I have the value list on a layout that uses the same table as the value list's relationship is starting from, it works fine. But if I put the value list on a different layout/table, the value list shows no values. So I end up having to create many redundant value lists for each non-related tables and layout. I must be doing something wrong.

My example is this:

I want a value list of only those Contacts who are marked as "Vendor".

TABLE: Contact1

NOTABLE FIELDS:

* isVendor - a boolean field that has the value "1" for any Contact1 record that is a vendor, and "0" if not.

* constantKey - foreign key field with the constant value "1".

RELATIONSHIP: I have a relationship set up from constantKey (Contact1) to isVendor (Contact2).

VALUE LIST: The value list is set up to use values from Contact2. "Only related values starting from" is set to Contact1.

RESULT: When I use this value list in a layout on the Contact1 table, the value list works like a champ, showing me the vendor contact records. However, if I use this value list in a layout on a different or unrelated table -- such as Invoice or Quote -- the value list does not work, and the result is "no values defined".

Logically, since I have set it up to give me values from a specific relationship and a specific starting point, why should it matter what layout I use it on? It seems to me that the values should be the same regardless.

I need this value list on several different layouts with unrelated tables. The only solution I have come up with so far is to create redundant value lists with redundant relationships for each layout/table where I need it, with said relationships starting at each respective table. It works, but that can't be the best way to it. Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated!

That did the trick! Good call.

Do you know why it won't work when the field is not global/calculated, even though the value of that field for all records was still "1"?

It cannot work, because a stored field can have a different value for each record. So a value list defined as "starting from…" would also need to know from which record to start. And since you don't have a related record, or even a relationship…

This topic is 5458 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.