FMP Server Database sharing on Web

thomasa

This topic is 8584 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi all-

This is probably a really simple question, but I'm doing everything without documentation so here goes....

On an NT system running FMP Server - to share/add data to a FMP database for an internet site, does the FMP application and database file need to remain open?

If so, is there another way of doing it without staying logged onto the system. The server it's running on is in a area that alot of people pass through, and I don't like the idea of not being able to log out just to keep an application running for an indefinite period.

Thanks in advance for any help....

IMHO, FM server runs as service, nobody must be logged.

To serve data to web, you set up another machine with FM 5 Unlimited. That is application. That will serve the data from server to the web.

quote:

Originally posted by thomasa:

Hi all-

This is probably a really simple question, but I'm doing everything without documentation so here goes....

On an NT system running FMP Server - to share/add data to a FMP database for an internet site, does the FMP application and database file need to remain open?

If so, is there another way of doing it without staying logged onto the system. The server it's running on is in a area that alot of people pass through, and I don't like the idea of not being able to log out just to keep an application running for an indefinite period.

Thanks in advance for any help....

• Newbies

Thanks for the reply Anatoli:

I also thought that FMP Server would run as a service as well, however, I read somewhere (I think it was the Filemaker site) that it is not a service, and can only run as an application.

As for the idea of having two machines running FMP, is that via the Web Server Connector?

quote:

Originally posted by Anatoli:

IMHO, FM server runs as service, nobody must be logged.

To serve data to web, you set up another machine with FM 5 Unlimited. That is application. That will serve the data from server to the web.

FileMaker Pro can host smaller number of databases and is not supposed to run as service.

FM Server IS ONLY SERVICE!

Because Server and Client should not reside on one machine, Unlimited (Client) should be on another.

On the other hand, Unlimited can be serving the web directly through WebCompanion. I have one hosted server, which is running IIS and FM Unlimited with no problems. I am not using Web Connector, because the WC is serving data from FM in HTML form and pictures are being served from fast IIS.

This topic is 8584 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.