New SMTP feature in FM S 10

This topic is 5364 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

Today I upgraded from FM server 9 to FM server 10. I was excited about the new SMTP feature of the server which would allow me to send emails direct from the server.

I was under the impression that FMS10 actually came with it's own SMTP server built in, but now I'm not so sure. It appears that I need to use another third party SMTP server (gmail for example). Is this true?

Could anyone explain what this SMTP feature of the server actually is and what it's useful for (if anything)?

I dont think they have anywhere in their marketing that FMS would include a mail server...

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-pro/pro-10-features.html?homepage=new_in_pro_10

You would still need some kind of mail server whether it be an exchange server or 3rd party such as gmail. You ISP should provide you one for example...

What it is useful for is being able to send email directly without having to use an email client such as Outlook, Entourage, or web browser. It can just take your server settings and send it on its behalf using the SMTP protocol.

• 2 months later...

I can't figure this out, either. I'd like my "send e-mail" button (w/ "send mail" script, set to "e-mail client") to pull up a new e-mail in Entourage with the specified addressee. Right now, nothing happens when I run the script. No e-mails get sent, no dialog boxes pop up. Why isn't Entourage responding? I would use our institution's SMTP server, but I want the user to be able to write custom messages. Basically, I'd like the HTML "mailto" functionality, where you click on an e-mail link and it opens your mail program automatically, with your message pre-addressed and ready to be written. Is this not possible with FM10?

Thank you!

This topic is 5364 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.