Importing Pictures in FM10

This topic is 5422 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi...

Am currently updating a solution from FM6 to FM10. The database imports pictures (reference only), where the pictures are stored in a folder within the same folder as the FM database.

In 6, the reference to the picture file was relative - ie. if I ultimately moved the entire solution folder, all of the pictures would still show up in the same place.

In 10, it appears that though the link is supposed to be relative (ie. the 'import folder' is specified as 'Pics/'), the actual file path stored in the picture contained is absolute - ie. if I move the entire solution folder, the pictures vanished and are replaced by 'can't find img_whatever' messages.

This is not good....

Just wondering if:

a) this is a deliberate behaviour change or a bug

:P whether there is some new setting governing this behaviour that I am just missing.

(Interestingly, if you insert pictures one at a time using 'insert picture', everything works exactly as it should).

Thanks!

Rob.

Edited by Guest

Where are the images? In a folder "Pics" in the Filemaker folder? Are they "loose" in the folder or stored in sub-folders?

You could use the Replace command to reset the path to "image:" & Get (FileMakerPath) & "Pics" & filename.

If the solution is in a folder called 'database', then the pictures are all in a folder called 'pics' within the folder called 'database'. There are no further sub-directories within the 'pics' directory.

My issues are:

- it didn't used to work like this in FM6

- it feels wrong, since the implication is that the link is relative

- it feels wrong, because 'insert picture' works differently (and, in my view, correctly)

- if I archive the database and pictures to CD-R or equivalent, then my concern is that I won't be able to use any technique to pull the pictures back into the database since it will be read-only at that point.

Any further ideas gratefully received....

Thanks,

Rob.

Interestingly, the situation I describe happens if you MOVE the folder, but does not happen (ie. the pictures continue to appear correctly) if you COPY the solution....

It may be that this has always been the case in FM6 and I've just never noticed before since I usually copy....

Rob.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5422 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.