error 21 when starting FMP service

This topic is 8570 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

FileMaker specifically advises *against* running the 4.1 and 5.0 client as a service under NT. Refer to The FileMaker TechInfo Article #105642 http://www.filemaker.com/support/techinfo.html

Check the article out, it may have been recently updated. In part it said...

"FileMaker Inc. Technical Support has heard from people who are running FileMaker as a service with only minor feature failures. The Send Mail script step and other features will return error messages because they are dependent on Windows settings which are just not available until someone logs in.

However, we have also heard from customers who experience more serious crashing and stability

issues. Again, FileMaker Pro 5 / 4.0 is not designed or supported as a service on Windows NT."

This issue comes up regularly. Do a forum search for "service".

The solution is not to lady canine to FileMaker to make it run as a service, complain to Microsoft that their server software is crippled until somebody sits at the console and logs in.

[This message has been edited by Vaughan (edited November 29, 2000).]

quote:

Originally posted by Internal Systems:

I have just installed FileMaker Pro Server v5 on a Windows 2000 server for the first time.

It appears to install o.k. but when I try to start the service it returns as service specific error code -21

Can anyone help please ?

Many thanks.

Seb Jenkins

Vaughan, this is Server issue, not the Client. FYI, Windows Server is not application, only Service.

Anyway, I saw this also on HP HW and NT4. The whole server MUST be restarted and then FM server starts OK.

If the FM service was stopped, it could not be restarted!

On our own HW, the same runs OK.

This topic is 8570 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.