Organizing projects in FM Server file

leonard

This topic is 8480 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Live Oak, et al,

We have databases comprised of numerous connected parts for different projects and fax, transmittal, directory components for different projects. Unnecessary parts are hidden, however, the required parts create a long hodge-podge list.

Is it possible with FM Server 5 to create separate folders for each project one level down from the current level? Will these be available and openable?

Thanks to all for the help.

L.

Yes and No. If you create too many levels of heirarchy (I think one folder down is ok) server can't find the files. You can, however, organize the files any way you wish on any mounted drive and then drop aliases (shortcuts) of the FM files in a single folder (with no subfolders) in the FM Server Folder.

-bd

Thanks for the speedy response LiveOak!

Building on your suggestion: 1) put a menu-type FM file with buttons for each project in its own project folder, which then resides in the FM Server folder. 2) the button items could either reside in the project folder or another folder on any mounted drive.

Ok?

Thanks.

L.

I'm not sure what you mean by "buttons", but all files must be opened by server first. If only one main file is open on server (the host), an open request by a guest won't cause server to open the file. If you put aliases (shortcuts) for each FM file to be opened in a folder (call it "Launch Me") inside the FM Server folder, all should be ok. -bd

This topic is 8480 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.