FM 5 Server and FM 3 Server

This topic is 8478 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

(Same question someone else just posted only slightly different. Hope I get a better answer.)

I have a bunch of various solutions (approx. 40) on FM 3 server that we need to temporarily serve off another station. Mac environment with the odd PC. Already have another server running FM 5 Server on the same network. Can't convert old db's just yet as not everyone has FM 5 yet and won't for a while. (You know, budget crap.) So, aside from the expected less than optimum network speed issues, if I install FM 3 server on the FM 5 server:

a) will FM 3 server overwrite files installed by FM 5 (If so, could I install FM 3 THEN reinstall FM 5 server?)

: will the two server software packages interfere with each other in a manner that might affect data integrity.

c) any other issues?

There's only light traffic on all served out solutions.

Okay, to the few that didn't know, you can't.

FM Server 5 or 3 both require exclusive use of the TCP/IP protocol. If 5 is the second app started an network error will appear. If 3 is the second app started no error appears, the protocols just doesn't activate. They will both run fine independantly.

[This message has been edited by manitobaangler (edited March 01, 2001).]

quote:

Originally posted by manitobaangler:

Okay, to the few that didn't know, you can't.

FM Server 5 or 3 both require exclusive use of the TCP/IP protocol. If 5 is the second app started an network error will appear. If 3 is the second app started no error appears, the protocols just doesn't activate. They will both run fine independantly.

[This message has been edited by manitobaangler (edited March 01, 2001).]

Never, ever run two database servers on the same machine, let alone 2 versions of the same application. I never even advise anyone to run more than one type of server on the same machine.

All servers are configured to make optimal use of the resources, and most often seriously conflict with each other.

If you need to run both FMP Server 5 and FMP Server 3, then use 2 seperate machines.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This topic is 8478 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.