Server Maintenance This Week. ×

40 File upgrade from 5 to 10

This topic is 5424 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

So it sounds like I may be the one doing the upgrade for my department. We have been using FM 5.5 and 6 for the past few years. I guess we never tried to upgrade due to the fact that converting "scared" the director. Thanks to the free trial versions of FM server 10 and FM Pro 10, I have been to convert all the files, but holy cow is it slow!

Going through the files, I have found a handful of bad links (old/current and new files) and will try to clean those up. What would be a good strategy? I could try to clone the files, 1 by 1, then import the data, 1 by 1. From there, I can fix links to files on the fly. A straight conversion works somewhat, but a few files take about a minute before they tell me they cant be found.

Finding out that some of our files had set different variations of the admin password has be going for a few days. Then I read and saw that the account name and password in the converted files is just the password from the old file. It makes a huge difference.

The rig hosting has plenty of horse power (Q9650 and 8GB Ram) - so, my test setup is 2 VM's in windows 7 x64:

1) Windows Server 2003 Enterprise

2) Windows XP

Any thoughts on how to best move this around?

I would read the briefs linked here.

http://www.filemaker.com/products/upgrade/migration.html

As well as this.

http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/techbrief_fm8_migrtn_found.pdf

• Newbies

I will read and try again here in a bit to see what I can do.

I guess I should learn a bit more about the structure of data in the newer versions.

I'll report back and let you guys know how it went! (if it ever does...)

EDIT:

I found why my database is incredibly slow. I am not sure where the file reference came from, but each file has about 4 reference to the other files, none of which are correct. FM spends more than enough time looking for each before it asks the user where the file is located. Once I define where each file really is, everything works as it should - nice and fast. From there, I can re-work relationships on the go.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5424 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.