Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Required Entry but Not Modifiable

This topic is 5405 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

Okay, you're going to laugh, but I'm going to ask this question anyway. I've been developing all day (and haven't backed up since first thing this morning) in FM Pro 10 Advanced. Somehow (don't ask how!) I've ended up on a layout where I have a field that requires a value, but is set to be not modifiable. Oops.

I can't get out of the record without getting the "{field} is defined to require a value. You must enter a value." message. If I try to type something in, I get that "This action cannot be performed because this field is not modifiable." I can't delete the record or quit. But I can get into ScriptMaker or open new windows and do things on other layouts. I cannot Manage Database.

So, my question: Do I just have to Force-Quit? If so, is there any way that the file will be safe to use -- or should I threw out today's development and revert to an old file to avoid any problems?

Thank you so much for any help!

Well if you can open a new window, then you probably can go into layout mode in that new window and change the field behavior to allow entry.

Also if you can get into script maker, you can always have a script set that field.

John,

Thanks very much for your reply. The "Not Empty" box was checked under Validation in the Field Options. I don't think this could be changed from the layout.

I did bring up the layout in the new window and tried changing the field. That didn't work, but it did result in a different message, something about the value being required, but that it couldn't be edited on this layout so I was supposed to enter it on a different layout.

I don't know if it next came up on its own, or because i hit something (Esc?), but it then gave me the option to Revert the Record. That did the trick! It deleted (un-created?) the record and let me out of the endless loop!

Good stuff. Thanks again for your prompt reply, and the assistance. Cheers!

Michael

This topic is 5405 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.