FMP Server Or Unlimited???

This topic is 8366 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Currently we have a copy of FMP 5 Unlimited and what I need to do is be able to have the application automatically launch when the server boots and then open a specific database. The server that hosts the file is Win 2000 and since FMP Unlimited apparently doesn't allow the application to be run as a service. I have it set to load the specific database instead at startup.

Now the problem is that I want to have three seperate levels of security groups with the one file. I want one group to be able to have full control, one group to have limited view and edit abilities and one group to have just viewing rights. I know how to do this but the problem is that if I apply passwords to each group (which is sorta neccesary) when the program launches at boot up it waits for someone to type in the required password. Now since this is a remote server, I want this to be all automated. Currently I have only one security profile setup and it has no password but anyone accessing the database has full rights, which is of course not what I want.

Now my question. or better yet my requirements:

I need the program to launch automatically when the server reboots and allow a someone to view a list of accessable databases online to anyone that accesses the specified website (internet connection via TCP/IP). Those databases must then prompt the user with the neccesary login name and password and depending on what is given will then allow the user to access the database (under the rules of their access level).

Now then, from what I have seen this isnt permitted in FMP Unlimited without manually opening the database to be shared or not setting any security groups.

So, will FMP Server allow me to do this? Are we using the wrong program? Are there ways to do the above with FMP Unlimited? Can I get FMP Unlimited to somehow open a file with a username and password automatically via some type of script or command line so that it doesnt prompt for this info when the file is launched on the server itself?

Any help would be appreciated as I hate to think we droped 1000 bucks on the wrong software package.

Matt

[ June 12, 2001: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the password issue.

Use a default password. Go to the Edit menu select application preferences and type in a default password. This way, the database will open and use the default password.

Does this solve this part of the problem?

Jerry

This topic is 8366 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.