FMPro Server and Citrix - advice?

This topic is 8362 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

I am in the process of setting up an installation of Server on a Citrix Metaframe box so that multiple users can access the centrally stored databases over a TCP/IP connection.

I have heard that this can be done, but before I drop multiple thousands of dollars, I would like to know if anyone has had any poor experiences with this type of installation. Most users will be accessing with fairly fast connections. The Citrix box will not be a speed demon, but I'm not sure that is a problem.

Any advice or cautions would be appreciated.

Chris

We're currently testing MetaFrame 1.8 to serve 10-15 clients too. It's pretty sweet.

The only thing we've had a problem with so far:

Terminal services and Citrix do not know how to map a USB connected printer back to the client. If you have any USB connected printers on either PCs or Macs, you'll need to look at some other solution.

We're testing Axis print servers with our Epson 740 inkjets. It basically puts them on the network. You can then set up individual printers on the W2K server - you don't need printer mapping in Citrix/TS.

You should also check out JWT HOBlink. It's a Java based mac client for Terminal Server. 20 CAL's of HOBlink are about $2700 vs. $5000 for 15 CAL's of Citrix.

HTH,

Mark

The other thing to consider is the machine using to host the databases using FileMaker Server 5 you can review elsewhare on the forum, but if you are on a Mac it is strongly recommended you use a ram disk. To host the files.

From my limited experience a user accessing FMP through Citrix is even faster than hitting the host button locally.

And the cool thing about Citrix you can use FileMaker (provided you have a wireless account) on most Windows CE devices.

This topic is 8362 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.