Open All script

This topic is 8331 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey kids.

We have FMServer 5.0 on a Windows NT machine, with eight users on Windows 98, and one user on an iMac with some sort of Mac OS (I hope my prejudices aren't showing). We have two databases (there are two companies in our office): One has 27 files; the other has 20. Let's talk about the one with 27 files.

There is a FM file on everyone's desktop that has a startup script that opens the Main Menu file when it is opened. OK so far.

The Main Menu file has a startup script that opens the 26 related files, using the Open script step 26 times - once for each related file.

Each of these files has a startup script that sets Use System Formats on - that is the ONLY step in the script.

PROBLEM: The Main Menu startup script opens the first file in its script, and then stops - no more files are opened. If I use a button to run this script, it works fine - but as a startup script, it ALWAYS stops after opening the first file.

I can just let the relationships open the files as they are needed, or put a hidden related field from each file on the Main Menu layout. BUT, any file that is opened from a relationship doesn't always run its startup script - Set System Formats on.

Any ideas what's wrong?

quote:

Originally posted by pspafford:

Hey kids.

PROBLEM: The Main Menu startup script opens the first file in its script, and then stops - no more files are opened. If I use a button to run this script, it works fine - but as a startup script, it ALWAYS stops after opening the first file.

Any ideas what's wrong?

I would START by making sure that the latest Filemaker updates are on all of these systems. Both for the client and the server. All of the updates can be gotten from Filemaker's web site. You'd be surprised how many times that solves little bug-a-boos like this.

quote:

Originally posted by pspafford:

Yep. I just did updated all of them recently.

Make sure that NONE of your startup scripts contains a HALT or EXIT SCRIPT command. Also make sure than NONE of the scripts go off somewhere else. Finally make sure that NONE of you scripts call some platform specific steps (such as DDE on Windows, or Applescript on Mac) since this could cause a problem on the opposite platform.

You could also recreate your main startup script, as it is possible that it has some kind of corruption in it.

I do this same kind of thing in cross-platform environment, so the concept works. I am sure there is just some little (probably a single tiny item) that is causing the problem.

This topic is 8331 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.