Use of backup files.

This topic is 8333 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

--Oops! I meant to put this in the Server forum, not the Unlimited. Can some administrator-type please come to my rescue?--

Hey kids.

We just started using FMServer on Windows NT. I've been going to use the backup scheduling feature to backup to the folder that Retrospect backs up every night (I have nothing to do with the whole Retrospect thing, and don't know anything about it).

My concern: If for some reason, when someone is opening the database from their computer, and FM can't find all of the related files, do I have to worry about FM opening one of the files from the backup folder? We use the database for almost everything, so it would be a nightmare if this happened. I know that Filemaker will try to be "helpful" by looking around for the file if it can't find it; is there any way to stop this?

[ July 19, 2001: Message edited by: pspafford ]

As I understand your question, your concern is that related files may link to the file that is in your backup folder rather than the original file folder.

That should not be a concern. The relationship you created is 'mapped' to a specific file in a specific location (folder), so the file will only link to the orginal files as it was mapped when the relationship was set up (unless someone has reset the file link).

This topic is 8333 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.