Server Backup Error

ohwolf

This topic is 8293 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello...

Been using FM Server 5 (Mac) for about 6 months now. Have used the "scheduled backup" feature to back up to a removable disk, with no problems....

Now, I get a "error message" when I try to back up my files. It will back up all of them but one, which of course, is the main data file that holds most of the critical info. It will not back this up now.

I open the server messages and all it says is something like..."can't write "main data" to disk...

What gives? Worked like a charm and then all of a sudden...it doesn't. Do I have a bad file? Is there a fix to this problem?

This particular file holds about 200,000 records....so it is a big file and important to my business.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Hello LiveOak...

thanks for the reply...unfortunately, its not that simple. The disk I backup to is a 4gb firewire hard drive...so it is not the file size that is the problem.

The file itself works fine...its not corrupted or at least does not act like it is corrupted, but I get the feeling maybe that is what it is? The file in question is 463MB big...the other 15 files are all under 1-2mb in size.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

For some odd reason a FM script sometimes refuses to write over an existing file. Try moving or deleting the already existing backup of the file you are trying to write to the FireWire drive. The other thing to try is deleting recreating the backup script. Of course, you should not ignore the normal suspects, Norton - DiskWarrior - Tech Tool the FireWire drive to fix any problems.

-bd

This topic is 8293 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.