Import tables

This topic is 5341 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I don't 'get' why FM doesn't allow an "Import related tables" check box when importing a table? As it is, you have to write a script to goto each table in the database and then import it...

Since FM knows which tables are related it should be pretty easy. Yes?

Do you really distinguise strictly between tables and table occurrences (TO) here? Strictly speaking aren't relations between tables...

There can be virtually wagon loads of TOG's to choose from here each having it's own set of relations - so a checkbox wouldn't be an obvious metaphor, Imports work from file to file - and here can you grap the file "itself" if you wish and then make the selection inside the tables not between each TO of the same table, so which relations would the be the correct to get the siblings from as well.

But then aren't imports either a sign of inadequate normalization, or an unvillingness to embrace recursive structures ... you need to expand here where this attempt to include some byzantine niftiness, really could be a godsend to the masses ... I could obviously be to ignorant here. But feature bloating does certainly do something to the learning-curve, and you have to legitimate every technology demand which leads the tool away from the instant user gratification.

I have BTW noted that you're on Mac OS X, so you might find this tip might pretty much does what you ask for:

http://tokerud.typepad.com/filemaker/2006/06/new_record_with.html

This removes the doubt of which TOG to deal with, it's then tied to the present layout.

--sd

I don't 'get' why FM doesn't allow an "Import related tables" check box when importing a table?

Because what's related at the source, is not necessarily related at the target, and vice versa. You are (I think) talking about a special case of importing into a clone of the same solution - but import is built for ALL possible situations.

Moreover, "related tables" is a relative term (if you pardon the pun). To identify what's related, the target file would need to look at the relationships graph of the source file and UNDERSTAND it. In fact, as Søren points out, it would need to understand the CONCEPT behind it - a task often difficult even for a human.

Consider also a simple case of importing Invoices -< LineItems >- Products. If you import "Invoices and related tables", the Products table will contain only products that have been actually sold.

That said, since Filemaker does provide the 'Save as …' option, there might be room for a complementing 'Restore from backup' command.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5341 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.