Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Transfering found sets between files

This topic is 5358 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm new to SM and wondering the best way to transfer a found set. In a single file solution I'd use GTRR but that doesn't work in a multifile solution.

Simple scenario. In 1.fp7 I have the found set but the report is produced in 2.fp7. However, when I run the script in 2.fp7 to generate the report, and the report is based on the same table in 1.fp7 in which the found set is based, what shows up in the report are all the records and not the found set.

I know that I'm missing something basic here and appreciate the time you take to enlighten me.

Thanks,

W

But the transfer doesn't sound too healthy to me, weren't the issue to compare the found set against the lot? Reporting using several tables in the same report is making it even more tricky.

You could however be in a separation model environment...

http://www.kevinfrank.com/download/2009/shadow-reporting.zip

--sd

• 2 weeks later...

LaRetta and Soren,

Thank you for responding to my post. Your answers helped me understand what I was missing. I hope when I get to be more knowledgeable of FMP that I'll be as generous with my time as you have been and help novices like me.

Sincerely -

Will

OK so this is embarassing. Earlier today I thought I was able to transfer a found set from 1.fp7 to 2.fp7 but then I realized I was not.

I have spent more hours that I'd like to admit trying do what LaRetta suggested. I can certainly create a TO in 1.fp7 that points to a file in 2.fp7. However, when I use GTRR I can't access a layout in the 2.fp7 that works.

I thought the Shadow Reporting technique that Soren was kind enough to send was the solution. I was able to duplicate it and get it to work in my system when I used base tables. But the problem appears to be that the found set in 1.fp7 that I am trying to transfer to 2.fp7 is in a portal based on a TO. For some reason the "Import Records" technique that only imports the found set for the base table will import ALL records for a TO.

If you, or anyone else, can shed some light on what I'm missing that would be more than great.

Thanks,

W

For some reason the "Import Records" technique that only imports the found set for the base table will import ALL records for a TO.

You have probably been taking the wrong layout's found set for the import, if you try to limit the number of choices possible via anchor bouy'ing and only have one single layout for each TOG... Each layout hold it's own found set, established on the latest search made on it.

I will urge you to specify a chosen layout/TOG immediately before the import step!

--sd

Finally got it. Thanks to your note, what I found was necessary was to transfer the found set in the portal to a separate layout of it's own. Then the magic worked.

It's not surprising that there are very smart people out there in the world. What is surprising is that there are very smart people out there who are willing to help others.

Thanks,

W

This topic is 5358 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.