Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Import Endnote XML into FM

Hammerton

This topic is 5376 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have an endnote library that I would like to convert into a fm database. The obvious endnote options for exporting, like tab delimited, don't work because the data columns are f** up due to variable numbers of author, keywords, etc. in each record. It looks like the only option is to export as xml and use a xslt file to make it filemaker-friendly. I have read stuff on xslt and looked at examples but I have no idea where to begin. Can someone give me some ideas about how to get started? Thanks.

Edited by Guest

Thank you. Among my frustrations is that teh endnote xml export file doesn't have line breaks and Textwrangler can't figure out the proper indent indenting scheme. If the xml file has to look that way to be processed by the xslt file I might as well type the stuff in by hand. There are approximately 100 records. I included only 1.

Thanks for having a go at this.

SelfSeminar.zip

Sorry about the omission. I simply want to create a plain old fm database with one table, and fields for the author(s), year of publication, article title, journal name, volume number, and page numbers. I don't mind making the fm database with those fields and then importing. I had been trying to use the open the xml file approach.

Thank you so much for this. This is exactly what I needed to see which parts of these files are general things and which are specific to the xml file I am trying to import.

This was extraordinarily generous of you. I promise to pay the favor forward.

The file "comment" sent worked like a charm. I am now modifying and expanding. I think I get the scheme. One last mystery, what purpose does this serve

select="'
'"

within the authors loop?

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5376 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.