Purchase of FMPro Server

This topic is 8239 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

A couple of questions I have before I purchase FMPro 5.5 Server:

1) Does the Server package come with installs for individual Mac users on the network? Or will I have to purchase software packages for every user accessing the server?

2) I have two users running Windows 95. Will the Server package have an install for them? Or will I have to purchase two FMPro PC versions?

FM Server is the program for the host machine. You will neeed to buy copies of FM Pro for each client machine that will connect into the host.

Check with FileMaker Inc, they may have a multi-license pack that bundles FM server with 10 copies of FM Pro client.

Thanks for the reply. I have called the FileMaker company twice and got two different responses. One person claims the Server includes installation for client users, as well as, the Server installation. The second time I got a lot of "um's" and "ah's" with a commitment she would call me back. Still waiting for that call a week later.

This could be an expensive venture - $700/ish for the server and perhaps $150/ish for 55 users/clients. These are estimated educational prices. Wish I could get the school district to purchase a district-wide license. Again, wishful thinking.

The cheapest approach for this situation is to purchase a "boxed set" site license. For non-educational users the cost is basically for the client software, server is thrown in cost wise. Site licenses start at 10 clients.

I don't know for sure how FM is sold to the educational channel, it may be slightly different. There are representatives at FM that just deal with site licenses. You might want to talk to this group, not just the general sales help.

-bd

Was able to contact the right person/department at the FileMaker Headquarters. Was told when purchasing the Server, you get no individual client copies. Nor are there any multiple platform installs for Mac and Windows on one disk. This would require separate client purchases.

For education users, they did offer a good price - $89 per client with a minimum of 25 copies. That's better! The server price was priced lower in the $500 range.

So, we're getting closer. Now to find a grant source!

This topic is 8239 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.