multi-user environment - file hosting

jma

This topic is 8192 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Yes, I do have Filemaker Server. I placed the file to be opened in the server application directory (per the FM Server manual). Then, I opened the file on a client PC. The client PC indicates that it will be the host of the file. Any ideas?

[ December 12, 2001: Message edited by: jma ]

When you open the file on the client's PC, use the File->Open Remote... command (FMP 5.5) or File->Open...->Hosts button (FMP 5.0, 4.x). Don't double-click on the file on the network server or on their local disk.

IMPORTANT:

Scour your network volumes and client hard disks for all other copies of the databases and either zip or delete them. You've gotta make sure that the *only* copy of the database that users can possiblly open is the one hosted on your FM Server. Otherwise it becomes a nightmare: users will complain that records they entered aren't in the database anymore (because they enetered them into a different database that they or some other person randomly opened).

quote:

Originally posted by jma:

How/Where (which setting) do I set the server/client so that the server always hosts certain files regardless of which client opens the file first?

Huh?

Do you have Filemaker Server? If so you store the files in a place that only Filemaker Server has access to and it opens the files. Then a Filemaker Pro client opens the files off of the FM Server via the Hosts button.

This topic is 8192 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.