Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM 10 Advanced crashed and will not load....

ron G

This topic is 5324 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am running OSX 10.6.

I was looking at a v5 .fp7 file and when I clicked the 'quit' button I got a system message that said I had to hold the power button to shut my Mac down and then press it again to start.

I did this.

Upon start up, when I click my FM icon, the splash screen comes up and it says ...loading in the lower left corner then it closes.

I can not start FM???

I have restored from my backup. No help.

I have reinstalled FM ... no help.

I have deleted the current version and it's plist file and reinstalled from the CD... no help.

What's going on?: This is truely weird...

Thanks

Balloon_Help.fp7.zip

Edited by Guest

Hi Ron,

I am running [color:red]OSX 10.6.

I was looking at a [color:blue]v5 .fp7 file and when I clicked the 'quit' button I got a system message that said I had to hold the power button to shut my Mac down and then press it again to start.

Are you saying that you were using FileMaker Pro 5, and or FileMaker Pro 7 when this occurred?

[color:red]Hi James,

I've seen the earlier version of [color:blue]kernel panic, but I didn't know it had a name other than the few choice words that I gave it.

I read the information about kernel panic on Apple's site, and found this Link that talks about the causes, one being Buggy or outdated programs or utilities.

I'm wondering if the v5 was at the bottom of this?

I still haven't upgraded to Snow Leopard, I bought it the first day and just as soon as I did, I begin to hear the discussions about QuickTime Pro 7 and QuickTime 10, and I still have a lot of files in v5 that I use and don't care to update to 10 yet, so I have been riding the fence to see what Apple and/or FileMaker plans to do.

Lee

Update:

Called FM tech support which didn't result in much insight or solutions.

Called Apple and found that if I deleted the User/Preferences/filemaker preferences folder, upon restart, FM will load and recreate the preferences. That fixed the problem.

Too bad FM tech support didn't know that. Perhaps if they had a database of 'issues' with fields by version, OS, issue etc they could reference it and help those who call in with problems??? If they don't have such a database, there are probably several hundred developers on this forum who could make one for them??? 8-)

Just an idea.

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is 5324 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.