Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Printing in columns

Suzy Jarman

This topic is 5338 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi

I have set up a layout to print company address and extra info in columns. What I am trying to achieve is for the next data set to follow after/below the previous one ie for the next one to split (if necessary) at the bottom of the column and to continue at the top of the next column.

IE I want to allow the contents of the selected part (body) to print a portion at the bottom of the column and the rest at the top of the column.

In the FileMaker Pro Help printout (Defining page breaks, numbering, and backgrond fill) it says FileMaker Pro won't split the contents of a part across two pages unless specified as an option (but it doesn't say where or how to do it), or the height of the part won't fit on a single page. This is talking about page breaks as opposed to column breaks.

The following is nearly doing what I want to happen but I don't want the remaineder of the part to be discarded, I want it to appear at the top of the next column.

In Layout mode, if I go to Layouts, Part Setup, Body, Change, Allow part to break across page boundaries, Discard remainder of part before new page.

Please can anyone help with this?

Many thanks and kind regards

Suzy

The following is nearly doing what I want to happen but I don't want the remaineder of the part to be discarded

Set the "Discard remainder" to OFF (unchecked).

Are your columns flowing correctly? They can be run down or across.

• Newbies

Hi

Thank you for responding. No the columns are still not doing what I want them to do.

Each data set is of varying size due to a field called 'Company information'. Each company has a different amount of text, therefore the height of each entry varies. What is happening now is if the remaining white space or 'gap' at the end of one of the columns isn't big enough to take the whole of the next data set, the next data set goes into the next column, so leaving a big gap. What I want is for no big gap to appear and for the next entry to appear just after the preceeding entry and for that specific entry to be split in two, first half at the bottom of the column and second half at the top of the next column.

Do you know how I can do this?

Thank you

Suzy

This topic is 5338 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.