Fm 5.5 server & OsX corrupting my files

vr5150

This topic is 8150 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am using OS X and Filemaker 5.5 server.

Today I noticed that the server was not sorting properly.

By the time I noticed this my database was corrupted.

I then recovered it.

After restarting machine and restarting Server it wouldnt open database. It acted like it did. Then It corrupted it again.

I did this 3 times with same results everytime.

Anyone else having this problem?

I am using OS X 10.1.2

Can file sharing be on the same machine? I know its not recomended on older OS 9 but with multi-threaded OS X I figured it would be ok. I used it on OS 9 and never noticed a slow down and I used it for 2 years.

Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong.

File sharing should not be on. Someone may have accessed the file via filesharing, and that would produce the results you describe.

Also, I presume you know not to use recovered files. Recovery is for the prupose of getting the file in sufficiently good condition to extract the data. Then import that data into a clean clone. Recovery will sacrifice anything in the file's structure to preserve the data. The more times you recover, the worse it gets.

It is also possible that some anomaly occurred when using the Server Config app to launch or to stop the FileMaker Server daemon. Remember that FileMaker Server on Mac OS X is a Unix daemon. If for some reason the machine has ever had ASIP on it (as on the Classic partition), reinitialize the entire syste,

If using the machine as a FileMaker Server, disable "classic". Never launch it while FM Server is running.

HTH

Old Advance Man

Thank for the reply.

I had been using FM server 3 & 5 on OS 9 for years with filesharing on and allowing people to open the files via alias on launcher and it worked with no problems or slowdown.

Now with OS X (unix) it did corrupt my database and create clones of each file that was viewed and ultimately killed it.

Thank you for the tips of ASIP - it was on the hd at one time and I have since low level formated it. Also I wasnt aware of the recovery issue. I have since imported data into a empty file.

quote:

Originally posted by vr5150:

Thank for the reply.

I had been using FM server 3 & 5 on OS 9 for years with filesharing on and allowing people to open the files via alias on launcher and it worked with no problems or slowdown.

Now with OS X (unix) it did corrupt my database and create clones of each file that was viewed and ultimately killed it.

Thank you for the tips of ASIP - it was on the hd at one time and I have since low level formated it. Also I wasnt aware of the recovery issue. I have since imported data into a empty file.

THe files were probably corrupted while still on OS 9.

See the FileMaker Server Best Practices White Paper on the FMI website.

Old Advance Man

This topic is 8150 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.