Backing up FMP

This topic is 8134 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi jhon,

You should not have your backup program touch open FileMaker files.

Use the built in scheduler of FileMaker Server to periodically write file copies to another directory, and then backup those copies.

Then, whatever backup system you choose, set it up to avoid touching the FileMaker Server directory.

An alternative backup plan that can work is to periodically stop the FileMaker Server service, and while it is stopped (and all files closed), have your backup service run. After that, just start the FileMaker Server service.

This plan works fine if a nightly backup is sufficient.

Good luck,

Andrew

I use FMP 5.0 Server running on Windows NT. The backup program that comes with NT will not back up A FMP database when it is open. I use ARCserve for a backup program, and it will back it up when it is open, but quite frankly, ARCserve program is just too complicated and way beyond what I need. Do any of you use a simple back up program that will back up a FMP database while it is open? Also if I upgrade to Win Server 2000, do any of you know if the backup program included with it will back up a FMP database while it is open?

Andrew, I followed your instructions, but it only backed up 1/2 of my databases. Is this because some of them are open? If so, I need to back these up when they are open as we need some of them running 24/7. Is there a way to do this?

This topic is 8134 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.