Sporadic hangs on hosted database

glenbeigh

This topic is 5294 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all... I wasn't quite sure where to put this question, so here it is.

My database is hosted by a hosting company. I use the separation model, where most of the layouts and scripts are in a local file on each users' computer, and the data is online. It's been running fine for about a year and a half. Over the past month or two, my users have been getting sporadic hangs. For about 5-10 minutes, all users in all locations get the spinning beachball/colorwheel. They generally don't lose connection. Unless they force quit (argh!), it comes back to life after 5-10 minutes and continues operating as normal.

I really need to get to the bottom of this. Any ideas? Might this be caused by one user running a particularly intensive (or poorly designed) report? Could this be an issue with our hosting company? I dare not ask: might this be a symptom of a corrupt database?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks all!

Sounds like perhaps an issue with your hosting company. Maybe you want to give us a try:

http://www.pointinspace.com/

We offer a 30 day trial, whereby if you cancel for any reason within the first 30 days you owe nothing - so it's a risk free proposition to give it a shot. We've also been providing professional FileMaker Hosting for over 10 years, so have a good idea about what we're doing. Thanks!

- John

Maybe your files are being backed up?

When FMS runs a backup the files are paused (effectively closed), although this is barely noticeable using a fast server, which it should be. Maybe your files got moved to another server and are running backups at a different time.

Do you have full Admin Console access? If so see what scripts are also scheduled and when.

Unfortunately, I do not have full Admin Console access. I do know that the database backs up around midnight or so, but i do not know what other scripts might be running. I will talk to my hosting company, but I wanted to get some opinions in advance, so thanks!

This topic is 5294 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.