Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FileMaker Pro 6… Corruption Risk on Later OS's?

This topic is 5310 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm working on upgrading our FileMaker 6 solution to the latest and greatest, FileMaker 10.

My FileMaker sales rep says that running databases via FileMaker Pro 6 (even if hosted on FileMaker Server) on modern operating systems subjects my database to corruption.

We've got several Windows XP, one Windows 2000 workstations running FM 6 and on the Mac side, it's mostly 10.5, some 10.4 and one 10.3 (no Snow Leopard 10.6 yet).

I won't deny that I've seen the spinning beach ball on some 10.5 installations and I've chalked it up to PowerPC code running on Intel Mac OS X.

I should also mention that we did experience a couple of glitches that required a rebuild of a few files in one case due to corruption and another where we had to roll back to yesterday's backup.

My main question: Is database corruption possible, just by virtue of running old software on a new OS?

I want to hear from the community before I just go by what the sales rep says…

Thanks,

-Matt

I'm not so sure about the FM Server comment, provided the FMS is running on compatible HW and OS that was listed as a system requirement at the time of release.

However, running FM 6 beyond OS X 10.3 will likely cause grief, although your comments seem to oppose this thought.

Incidentally, there is no upgrade available for FM 6, however there is a 10 user bundle available including FREE FM Server. Check out the current promotions on the FM website.

This topic is 5310 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.