Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Client on Non-C: Parition Can't See DB On Server

This topic is 5299 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, not sure if this is in the right place or not. I'm helping out a company with their FileMaker databases. We have a client version, as well as the server version on the server machine. While the client version was on C: everything was fine and it could see the FM server database files. The IT guy decided that he needed more space on C: so he uninstalled the client version and installed a new client on a shared drive (E:). Now when we run the version on E: it can't see the database files (which are still also on C:). I've tried local, as well as a remote connection but it's just not finding it. All the other clients that are on the network are seeing the FM DB files fine still. Any ideas? Anyone tried to load FM on a non-C: drive? Any help would be great. Thank you!

FM Server is v10, FM Client is v10, files are .fp7

This setup as described is completely incorrect.

FileMaker Server goes on the C drive. The database files themselves can either be in the FileMaker Server directory on C or they can be on another drive on the machine. In the latter case, in the Admin Console, you must identify the alternate directory.

FileMaker Pro has [color:red]no role at all on the Server machine in this scenario. It goes on the client machines and is used to access file hosted by FileMaker Server.

Please see documents accompanying the Server product.

Steven

Steven, Thanks for replying. None of that really addressed what I was asking though. I was asking about having a Filemaker client on a non-C: partition. I was giving background info by stating it was on the server machine, but it doesn't really play a factor. It could be on a separate machine on a non-C: partition and we would still be having the same problem. In this company's case, there is a need for an FM client version on the server because it is the only one accessible by remote desktop connection for people who need to access it from off location.

Has anyone else actually tried this before and have any tips? I'm guessing it's probably just not possible. Thank you.

I guess I was not clear. Do not attempt to run FileMaker Pro on the same machine as FileMaker Server at the same time. If people want to do a RDC connection, have them access a different machine on the network. That machine can then launch FMP, and through Open Remote it can access the hosted files on the server. Should make no difference what drive FMP is on.

If you do this and still cannot connect, then there are other issues, possibly firewall settings or instalaltion errors.

Steven

This topic is 5299 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.