Body Part not breaking across page boundaries after sub-summary

Gary Brusanowski

This topic is 5295 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Here's my problem :( I have a report of "Product Descriptions" and each product will have a "specification" #. The report is sub-sorted by spec #, so that all products with spec #1 show, then spec #2 products, etc. The text box for the production description can have alot of text, spanning more than one page. However, the text box won't break across pages; the sub-summary part is at the top of page 2 with the product desc. below it, and a huge white space on page one under the head. If I don't sort by spec #, the body text breaks across the page fine. Anyway around this?

Thanks,

Gary

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Here's my problem : I have a report of "Product Descriptions" and each product will have a "specification" #. The report is sub-sorted by spec #, so that all products with spec #1 show, then spec #2 products, etc. The text box for the production description can have alot of text, spanning more than one page. However, the text box won't break across pages; the sub-summary part is at the top of page 2 with the product desc. below it, and a huge white space on page one under the head. If I don't sort by spec #, the body text breaks across the page fine. Anyway around this?

Thanks,

Gary

A couple of things:

1) check for white space at the bottom of the text -- like extra returns. Sliding/printing won't take out this extra space because it's not empty.

2) check the layout part options, especially those related to page breaks and discarding the remainder of the page.

3) make sure sliding/printing is set to reduce the size of the enclosing part

4) change the layout to view as list

• Newbies

Thanks, but I've definitely got these covered; I've even broken my text field ('comments' in this case) into two fields in hopes that at least the first part will show up on the previous 'page', somewhat filling the huge gap. That didn't work either. I've come across this over the years with various data bases I've constructed, and this remains a mystery (an annoying mystery).

. I've come across this over the years with various data bases I've constructed, and this remains a mystery (an annoying mystery)

This works for me as expected.

Zip a file that demonstrates the problem and post it to the forums. Remove confidential data, but leave enough to show the problem.

• Newbies

Wish I could; it's a confidential research file and the only option would be to reconstruct some pages with 'fake' data, too time consuming. I wonder if it has something to do with the 6 sub-summary fields that precede the comment field? And, man, do I ever wish that I could link those sub-summary fields so they aren't orphaned from the comment field (much as I would do in MS Word with headings). It seems FM only has the option to set the field to break across the page boundary (which isn't working) and not the option to 'link' the part across page boundaries. This is at the top of my wish list for FM to fix!

This topic is 5295 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.