Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Working like other RDBMS

This topic is 5246 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

As I am new in FM development. Had a training on FM Development. Also have experience SQL Server, Oracle, Access, FoxPro.

From my understanding, FM is mostly click/drag-m-drop based friendly application development engine. Where Relationship and Table Occurrences are the main base for all type of processing and calculation.

Bearing the above background, my thoughts are still stick to Stored Procedures, SQLs, batch updates, Triggers.

I do not have problem with Catalog, Archive type databases because those type of databases uses less functions/calculations/processing of batch records.

But when I think about building financial type where Monthly,Yearly processing is needed or lets think about this Forum. This forum has lots of totals/numbers, linking to topics etc. features.

So is there any one who can guide me to the right path to show the secret/best practise of FM development.

Or you can share some example sites for most common type data processing and solutions.

Thanks in advance.

So is there any one who can guide me to the right path to show the secret/best practise of FM development.

Quite a mouthfull to answer, a rather classic issue from 399 BC between Socrates and Meno, where Meno postulates Socrates wisdom, and Socrates are urged to show he actually can teach a slave boy the reasoning in the pythagorean theorem.

So it's a question if virtue can be learned, and the values of your guesses as to which realm a tool really is intended - is there a highway to knowledge in a specific topic?

My initial thoughts however would pull on already existing skills you owe and the use of:

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-pro/sql-data.html

...and then build the relevant stored events in SQL side of the matter, and leave filemaker for the interface side... There is some truth in this:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2009/09/23.html

...just as well as attempting to make Filemaker behave as something out of it's realm - the real problem is if you never have pulled anything serious off in any of your mentioned behaving tools?

--sd

• 1 month later...

This topic is 5246 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.