Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Running FM Server in Ram Disc

This topic is 8678 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have 750 Megs of Ram on a 500 Mhz G3 Server that is reserved for FM Server 5. I run this on a Novel Network managed by another guy. We have on average about 8 people connected to data files at any time. Most are just viewing. Only 4 have modifcation rights. Solution is 20 files.

I wonder if I configure the machine to load FM Server and the files into a RAM disc if it will run any faster? Some things take bloody for ever, like subsummary reports etc. I realize I will have a problem maintaining valid data in case of a crash, but that can be solved.

Any ideas?

Thanks

------------------

We are trying it here over a network servicing 70 users. We have a G4 w/ 1Gb of RAM with a 750Mb RAM Disk. It does makes downloading images and disk-intensive services much faster.

Other functions like sub summaries, unfortunately rely on processing power. We're not noticing too much of an advantage there.

• 1 month later...

I don't believe the speed at the Server Level is what's causing your problems .... Most likely it's the performance of the local machine that your attempting to run your summary reports on .... Or the solution need some serious design attention!

This topic is 8678 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.