Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Backup Failure: "Access Denied" - Server 9 on Mac OSX

This topic is 5269 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Filemaker Server v9.0.3 on Mac OSX 10.5.8

All scheduled and manual attempted backups by FM Server to the default backup folder have suddenly returned a message "access denied".

All folders involved have read and write permission for fmsadmin, me, and fmserver. This was working fine for months, then out of the blue (well, I'm sure there was some event that caused it but I haven't been able to determine what) it stopped working.

I created a new schedule, same result. I tried manual initialization, same result. The server confirms the path as valid. Everything is at root.

I repaired disk permissions and came up with three items that are not on Apple's list of "OK to ignore." These are:

• Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents/Resources/load_webdav" has been modified and will not be repaired.

• Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/pppd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

• Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

I have been looking for some reference to use to understand these messages and if they are relevant to the problem at hand but no luck so far.

Other than these possibilities I'm stumped.

When a schedule runs the system.log shows the following message:

Nov 23 12:52:12 INP11000XXXXX kernel[0]: Limiting closed port RST response from 253 to 250 packets per second

Nov 23 12:52:14 INP11000XXXXX kernel[0]: Limiting closed port RST response from 252 to 250 packets per second

Nov 23 12:52:44: --- last message repeated 4 times ---

Edited by Guest

All folders involved have read and write permission for fmsadmin, me, and fmserver

The correct permissions are:

Owner: fmserver (read & write)

Group: fmsadmin (read & write)

Others: Read Only

If there is any potential that the permissions are wrong anywhere then go to:

/Library

Select the FileMaker Server folder and click on "Apply to enclosed items" (you will need an admin user/password) - this will cascade through the whole FMServer structure - unless you have specified an alternate hard drive as well, then that wold need the same treatment.

Don't forget to CLOSE files and SHUTDOWN FileMaker Server BEFORE the above.

• Newbies

Problem solved, though not fully understood. There was something IN the backup folder, perhaps an invisible file, that was not being overwritten when I did a manual backup (shut-down, copy db files to Backups folder with replace, startup again).

I did a "select all" on the folder contents and deleted them. Now scheduled backups run fine!

This topic is 5269 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.