Server Maintenance This Week. ×

SafetyNet plugin

This topic is 5116 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

This plugin looks FANTASTIC! Client wants to ensure that backups are occur out of state, in case of major natural disaster. The description says "Amazon’s cloud-based file storage service". Which service exactly? Amazon S3, which allows you to select a region?

Yes, this uses the Amazon S3 service, though you do not have the option to select your region. Users in the US will use the US backup servers, and European and Asian users will use the European and Asian backup servers. I believe that amazon has redundancy in their backups, storing in multiple locations, so you should be fine using the US servers.

• 3 months later...

Trying out SafetyNet now. But I have a question about "anywhere in the world" access. That seems to presume that the user has allowed remote direct access to their server. Is there an alternate way to access this?

Another question: say I have an S3 account. Is there a way to point to that instead? And/or, a way to automatically transfer from SafetyNet to my S3 account?

Suppose that I'm trying to maintain modest storage levels at SafetyNet but I want the complete history of all files transferred to be available on my S3 account.

You do not need to have remote desktop access to your server to restore to it, though port 8030 must not be blocked by your firewall.

You can restore files from your account to any FileMaker server with internet access anywhere, or you can restore to your original server through the safetynet admin page accessed at http://yourserverurl:8030

I believe that you can sign up for safetynet using your existing S3 account. You should be able to enter your S3 account information when you go to log in to get a safetynet application key.

I'm not sure if Amazon provides a way to transfer files between accounts. You will need to check their site for that functionality. You may need to download the files and then re-upload them to your other account.

You do not need to have remote desktop access to your server to restore to it, though port 8030 must not be blocked by your firewall.

You can restore files from your account to any FileMaker server with internet access anywhere, or you can restore to your original server through the safetynet admin page accessed at http://yourserverurl:8030

I believe that you can sign up for safetynet using your existing S3 account. You should be able to enter your S3 account information when you go to log in to get a safetynet application key.

I'm not sure if Amazon provides a way to transfer files between accounts. You will need to check their site for that functionality. You may need to download the files and then re-upload them to your other account.

No, you cannot point SafetyNet to your own S3 account.

I find the "access from anywhere" statement a little redundant or misleading. Yes, if you have set up your firewall and server admin to allow remote access, then you have remote access. It basically doesn't have anything to do with SafetyNet. It is a statement about how you have chosen to manage your system.

Your statement about restoring files is incorrect. You must have SafetyNet installed at all the locations you're going to restore to.

The SafetyNet Restore feature restores the files to the server running safetynet. You can, however, use the Download function to download the files to whatever machine you are accessing SafetyNet from (your regular desktop computer instead of to the server you are accessing.

I made a mistake about the existing S3 account, and you are correct that a unique S3 account is required for SafetyNet.

This topic is 5116 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.