Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Scripted Logon for External FileMaker Data Source

This topic is 5178 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All,

I couldn't have been lost on the smart people at FMI that there is an irony that when I go to MySQL/Oracle and so on, there is an interface for me to provide a username/password for access to that data source.

However, if I use an External FileMaker Data Source I must rely on the the two systems being *perfectly* sync'ed as far as Accounts/Passwords!?!

All I ask, dear FMI, is that you treat yourselves with the same respect you give to the other data sources you support :-)

I ought to be able to have a FrontEnd with lots of esoteric and complex Account Privileges/Privilege sets, and then have a completely separate Backend set that is essentially (as what I built myself before FM7) One Accounts for each Privilege Set, and that usename and password is provided in the External Data Source interface (Case statements based on PrivilegeSet).

Further, another "FileMaker is so user friendly" reason to do this is that using the pre-Expired password feature gets Clobbered with an External FileMaker Data Source -- what a Mess! -- and how confusing to End Users. (Yes, I can work with it, but it is far from ideal.)

Thanks very much, don't mistake my adamant tone as being inappreciative -- I rant in good humor here and I am a happy FileMaker customer :-)

Ferdly

This topic is 5178 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.