Script - Printing - PROBLEMS!

This topic is 5188 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am having a real problem with a User's setup and scripting..,.

I have a system that creates work orders and purchase orders from a quote. The system worked perfectly well with FileMaker 4 (GASP!) for years. Recently, the system was updated to run in FileMaker 9 - and should really still run well.

The scripting works - automatic printing is fine - IF the users want to print to a "shared" - Ethernet printer...

However,

The problems are two-fold...

1: Some users wish to print "locally" - rather than to the shared printer... There are about 5 scripts that print and FileMaker always seems to forget what to do - it actually prints to one printer and then to the other - depending on the script (not even the file)....

2: the print Setup somehow keeps reverting to A4 -which causes the print process to STOP altogether...

This is NOT a large office - there are really only 6 or so users - but this really seems to be kicking my ass... Normally (and I have done this) I would simply go to the machine that wants to print locally and select the Print Setup and Print dialogs in the scripts in question and make certain the local printer is selected...

HOWEVER, this is apparently causing some trouble - either because the local printer seems to be defaulting to A4 - or whatever.

I have NOT recreated the scripts - just modified the original - the scripts do everything else perfectly...

The users are using Windows VISTA on the entire network...FileMaker Version 9.0.1. (I will update to 9.0.3)

the client keeps asking "where" the data is stored for the print setup - I know FileMaker essentially remembers that most recent printer but I really don't know what to tell them... :

Recently, the system was updated to run in FileMaker 9 - and should really still run well.

Did you read the migrations recommendations white paper?

Definitely update to 9.0v3. Also are you aware of the issue that FMP has with long printer names in Windows? Check the FMI web site Knowledge base.

I'm in a similar situation...

And all the script steps seem to default onto one printer...

One option is to add the print script but not print setup and de-click without dialog...

This is what I've done, it asks the user which printer and once they've selected the script resumes. Works every time.

No problems ever since... Obviously any task that prints to a primary printer you can select without dialog.

Hope this helps.

This topic is 5188 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.