Select ODBC Data Source is empty

This topic is 5103 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

Has anyone tried to connect FM 10 on a local mySQL DB everything on Windows 7 64bit?

Here's my configuration :)

Windows 7 64bit: MySQL 5.1.36 : ODBC Drivers 5.01.06 64bit

I have created a system DSN using the MySQL drivers.

And tried to add an external data source in a FM file, But the "Select ODBC Data Source" window is still empty.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Sorry Nick, I don't have an answer for you, but I have been struggling with the same problem all evening!

If anyone can help, please do - I need to edit live MYSQL data in fm pro 11 app.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it mind boggles me, but apparently they still haven't fixed this even with FM11.

External SQL Sources does not work on 64 bit machines. It absolutely drives me crazy because without a 64 bit machine you're limited on how much RAM you can install in your FM server.

I confirmed all of this with FileMaker tech support when they first launched ESS with FileMaker 9. I've been waiting through version 10 and now version 11 and apparently this still is not fixed.

The only way around it (and I hope somebody can tell me I'm wrong) is to install 32 bit OS on the machine hosting your FM files. Then after you install and configure the ODBC DSN on your computer it'll show up in the FileMaker ESS options so you can attach it as expected.

It still just blows my mind how FileMaker can continue to drop the ball on web-based applications. They've yet to fix all of the problems caused by the XML API (which the PHP API uses, of course) which is the only reason ESS was introduced in the first place, and we still can't even use the "solution" on anything but 32-bit machines.

Ok, sorry for my hissy-fit. PLEASE somebody tell me I'm just doing it wrong and they actually did fix this in FM11.

So yeah, in the FileMaker help they point you to this page: http://www.filemaker.com/support/technologies/sql.html.

On that page we see the following...

"Note: 64-bit versions of ODBC drivers and the ODBC administrator are not supported. System DSNs should be created in the 32-bit version of the ODBC administrator."

I've never been able to find any way to "create the system DSN in the 32-bit version of the ODBC administrator" on a 64-bit machine. If that's possible then I guess that's our answer but FileMaker tech support has never been able to tell me how to do it.

Anybody else have an idea?

• Newbies

Hi Guys,

The only way I got around this issue was to set up the odbc connection as instructed on a 32 bit machine, and then then copy the filemaker file to the 64 bit machine, which works a treat.

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...
  • Newbies

Hi Nick et al,

Unfortunately, the 64 bit driver does not work...however, the 32 bit driver does.

The fix for me on my Windows 7 64 bit machine was to run the 32 bit version of the ODBC Data Source Administrator that would reference the 32 bit driver. The first thing I did was to install the latest MySQL ODBC Connector downloaded from the official MySQL website. The MySQL ODBC Connector I downloaded included both the 32 bit and 64 bit drivers in the one installer. After installing the drivers, I then ran the 32 bit ODBC Data Source Administrator. On my machine, this executable was located at:

c:windowsSysWOW64odbcad32.exe

Running the executable brought up the 32 bit ODBC Data Source Administrator graphical user interface. I added a System DSN for MySQL 5.1. FileMaker 10 Pro Advanced was able to see my new System DSN.

This topic is 5103 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.