FM file structure insight

Dali

This topic is 5189 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

this might be a bit of a stretch but I'm looking for a way to access a filemaker database file and performs queries or even make modifications like perhaps changing a database reference file or even more important query/modify import/export order of import/export scripts. I know this is possible since a tool like FMDiff does exactly that. Question is where to get this sort of information? Of course, I'd be creating a separate application in .NET/Java to access FM files.

Thanks,

Dali

Yes, filemaker application does that but it also means that if I need to check 100 scripts and make sure the import order hasn't changed in each script (due to changes in the database) I would need to first find all 100 scripts, then manually click on each one, then click on import order, then manually inspect each. Way too much room for error. That is why a nice automation application that would compare things automatically would be great. If only I could get my hands on where that is stored inside fm file. Sure it will take some time to get it working but it will absolutely save huge amount of time in the long run and leave less room for error.

Any idea how FM Diff does it?

Thanks!

The DDR ( Tools > Database Design Report ) is a detailed XML report of your database structure and can be analyzed manually or with a slew of available applications, however it can not be imported back into FM to update the database.

It's too bad developers have to resort to 3rd party apps or making their own scripts just because apple can't hire a competent interface designer.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5189 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.