Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Sharing account information between 2 files ?

This topic is 5174 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi !

I have 2 different files on server. Is it possible to some how pass user information from one file to another ? I mean that account is created to both files with one session and both shares the account privileges etc. Is possible to use a third file ("Personnel file") that contains that information and is used by the other two ? I have no idea how to use "External authentication"...

Thank you in advance !

This can be done with scripting. There are steps that create and delete accounts. Remember to run the scripts with full privileges.

Thank you !

That is useful, if all the users use a client program. In this case the majority uses the database via IWP and IWP doesn't support "Open file" -script step.

Is it by the way possible at all to use two separate files when IWP in use ?

I would suggest you read up upon "separation model" - where I would think two different interface files and one shared datafile is much more up to the task, because it seems you have hitten a false note when asking to sharing something between two files!

--sd

Hi Soren !

Yes, I would like to have only one file with separate tables inside, but the other file I have is SUI Calendar which is very hard to import to my file and thus I have several files - all used via IWP.

But I'll read that separation model... :)

Well you can have a bit of both, often does the user interface hold some global fields, but you could get away by having a set individual fields in each ...

Try to get some ideas about it by dissecting this!

http://www.newcenturydata.com/downloads/separation_demo.zip

You might not realize this, but before fm7 were all tables separate files, and in order to migrate solutions to the new format were the referencing issues urged to work this way - even though we today tries to put all tables in the same file.

--sd

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5174 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.