Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filemaker Server 10 and FMP 8.5 - Can I run them both on the same machine?

This topic is 5157 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello All,

I have a X serve 2Ghz Power PC G5 with 5 GB of RAM that currently only runs FMS10 and does some limited file sharing.

Can I run Server and FMP Pro on this machine at the same time?

**I remember reading that it was not recommended to run server and the application on the same machine**

Is it a resource issue? because i have more than enough.

Here's my problem:

I have one 17.1 MB excel file 40 columns by 30,000 records that we would like to have update more often in the day.

It currently takes over 15 minutes to upload this file to the filemaker database via the FMP Pro8.5 on a 1.25 Ghz Power PC G4 with 2 Ghz RAM from a network folder.

What's the skinny?

Yes you can run FM8.5 on the Xserve - but you must use File > Open > Remote to access the database. I don't think you will see much improvement.

FMS10 allows you to run FM scripts directly and the Import/Export records are supported too (unlike FMS9). You will need FMP10 to generate the script first. There are some limitations to where the files must be placed, but that would seem the most likely method of performance improvement.

Ideal Data, thanks for responding.

So if I understand you correctly:

1. FMP and FMS can co exist on the same machine, at the same time, while doing some file sharing.

2. FMS10 can do the importing of data directly into itself with out having to pass it through FMP first?

(The file is generated from an AS400 database, then converted to an excel file [need excel file in order to keep formatting of file, no Chinese characters and such] which is then save onto a Xserve, FMP is then scheduled to go and import the file. Total time about 35 minutes)

If FMS can handle that part of the process, then it would certainly make things faster and improve the timing.

I'll have to start looking into how the script process works with the server.

Just an update for anyone reading this.

Filemaker Pro 8.5 will not run on a Leopard X serve (architecture issues)

I looked in to the Server Scripting - the importing and the exporting of records is not compatible.

I will stick with the machine for now that runs the scripts on it's own now. :

Thanks again. :)

Old Advance Man

thank you for taking part in this discussion.

Here's the scenario.

I am running FMS server10 on a leopard Xserve.

I have FMP 8.5 on a G4 mirror door with my data base running on it.

I have a script that pulls 30,000 records that is provided to me from an AS400 system.

"They" would like the records to be updated more often (shooting for hourly) unfortunately the process takes about 30 or so minutes to run.

At Ideal Data's suggestion i looked into setting up server side scripting as a possible way to improve the uploading process.

I have set up the scripts - but when I try to perform the scripts that will import these records, and export a file - they do not work for me.

Looking into the forums, they made mention of ensuring that they were "server" compatible and I could check by also seeing if they were "web compatible".

Neither of these scripts are web "compatible" because they use Import Records and Export Records.

I"M NOT SAYING THAT THE FILEMAKER SCRIPTING DOES NOT WORK,JUST NOT FOR ME so far.

( Let me be clear on that because I get similar comments at work, and Filemaker runs beautifully)

What you are missing is a FileMaker Pro 10 LICENSE. When you have FM10 then the SERVER COMPATIBLE script steps will be available to you - and these include the Import/Export steps I outlined before.

You cannot program FM10+ compatible stuff using FM8.5 - it didn't exist then.

My original post contains all the information you need - but you didn't use FMP10 as I said you must.

The new FM11 is now your only option - and that has raised the bar for OS specifications - minimum is OS X 10.5.7

This topic is 5157 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.