Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Cocoa and speed

This topic is 5167 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have just read that FM11 on the Mac is built with Cocoa. Is this true? If it is there could be benefits in graphics performance and elsewhere. I will be interested to hear about any testing of this.

There's really no advantage in performance. In fact, in some areas of the UI performance is slower. For some metrics on this, check out the "performance tag" in my blog at www.billonfilemaker.com.

There are other advantages brought with the move to Cocoa. Speed really isn't one of them (at least from the UI side).

I would love to hear more about this as well. It's obvious that some elements have been upgraded to Cocoa (I'm not a programmer but I assume it's possible to do it halfway).

But my personal test of whether an app is Cocoa or Carbon is that if it's Carbon, command-clicking on any URL in a block of text will open that URL in a browser. This still works in FileMaker 11.

(I wish Cocoa did this, too, but if you type a URL into TextEdit and try command-clicking on it, you'll see it does nothing. I think that Mac OS X Services are supposed to take the place of this functionality.)

This topic is 5167 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.