Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Connecting Two or More Text Fields Boxes

This topic is 5119 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is it possible to have different text field boxes and have them connected? For example, can I have a large text field box on each of several pages (like for a letter that spans more than one page), and have the text in these boxes connected? If I add text to the top box on the first page, it should push the text down onto the next page.

This is possible in a program like Quark, but I have not been able to figure out how to do it in FileMaker. I have always just used one very large text box that spans several pages, but I always have to manually reformat it where the pages break. There must be a better way!

Thanks in advance for any solutions.

Is it possible to have different text field boxes and have them connected? For example, can I have a large text field box on each of several pages (like for a letter that spans more than one page), and have the text in these boxes connected? If I add text to the top box on the first page, it should push the text down onto the next page.

This is possible in a program like Quark, but I have not been able to figure out how to do it in FileMaker. I have always just used one very large text box that spans several pages, but I always have to manually reformat it where the pages break. There must be a better way!

Thanks in advance for any solutions.

This is a common application for the virtual list technique, which takes each paragraph and makes it a record in a utility table. Sliding and printing issues mostly go away, because there are no longer any large text blocks.

See attached. Actually I realize that I misread your question and the technique is not quite what you're looking for. There is no Filemaker native technique for text box overflow.

What this technique does do is take multiple paragraphs of text, place them in a variable or global field, and display them as separate records. This does solve some long-text-block print issues but it is not auto text box overflow. I think you're really going to need another app for that.

Basic_VList.fp7.zip

This topic is 5119 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.