How to disable IWP on Windows?

This topic is 5105 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

How can I disable IWP in my development copy of FileMaker 10 on Windows XP?

Here's my story:

My primary development system is a standalone computer that isn't networked. For the past two years I've used FileMaker 10 to build runtimes. FileMaker has always started up smoothly -- within about 10 seconds.

Somehow within the past several weeks, FileMaker's IWP features have been "turned on" as the default state. Now, every time I launch FileMaker, it pauses for about 30 seconds (testing the network or something) and then reports:

"FileMaker cannot share files over the Web because IWP could not be started."

I did try to enable IWP a couple of months ago -- before I found out that runtimes cannot use IWP. Now, I can't recall what I enabled or what parameter I might have changed -- and I haven't been able to make any effective change*.

So my question is: how can I disable IWP completely in my development copy of FileMaker? In other words, I never want IWP to try to initialize and incur the long pause.

Any help will be appreciated.

* There is a related post here that addresses this issue on the Mac side. But nothing listed has worked for me on Windows.

More research has revealed a possible trap door in FileMaker. On another forum, I found a reference to changing the default port for IWP, which I can paraphrase as follows:

... went to Instant Web Publishing ... told me the default port (80) is in use ... changed the default port to 591 ... then got the message "FileMaker cannot share files over the Web because instant web publishing could not be started" ... tried other ports, but no change in FMP response ...

I checked and, indeed, I had changed the port assignment on my PC to 81. Now, it will not allow me to change it back to 80. Regardless, that might not be enough to get IWP back to the fully reset condition.

Maybe this additional information will trigger someone's memory of how to get out of this trap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Newbies

I disable IWP by renaming the extension "Web.fmx" to "Web.fmx_DisabledByRename".

This makes it easy to re-enable IWP with a simple extension renaming.

The file is typically located at "C:Program FilesFileMakerFileMaker Pro 9 AdvancedExtensions"

As a matter of habit, I also delete FMP's web preferences file, "web.prefs".

The file is recreated by FileMaker as needed, so I don't bother renaming it.

Regards

This topic is 5105 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.