Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Converted Character Set on Set Field

This topic is 5038 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

We have been having an ongoing issue that we would love to resolve (V5) Sporadically when using the set field command in a script (setting text from one file to another) the text converts to a different character set, making the words unreadable. We have installed all the updaters to no avail.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Is this occuring when you copy and paste the original text snippets from say a browser or such?

As such is it usually seen as a benefit that the entries gets uniformed by the intervention of scripting. Your version is a bit too old to force a certian style to a fields data beyond the fields default fonts setting.

The way to deal with this is to syncronize the most likely font from the pasted with the field assigned.

A further crincle to your problem is that the old version of filemaker you use deals with UTF-8 while your operating system meanwhile might have switched to UTF-16:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8

Are you sure your version of filemaker is supporting the OS you're on?

--sd

• 1 month later...
  • Newbies

Thanks for your input. No this isn't a copy and paste, but rather using the SET FIELD command in a script. May be we need to upgrade the version, but I would like a solution as it will be a complicated upgrade, so I'm not looking forward to that.

Can you give an example on when it happens? Perhaps this tip will work for you?

http://filemakeraddict.blogspot.com/2008/01/tip-pasting-text-without-style.html

So a suggestion could be following:

Set Field [ Untitled::aContainer; Untitled::aField ]

Copy [ Untitled::aContainer ] [ Select ]

Paste [ Untitled::aField ] [ Select ]

--sd

Thanks for your input. No this isn't a copy and paste, but rather using the SET FIELD command in a script. May be we need to upgrade the version, but I would like a solution as it will be a complicated upgrade, so I'm not looking forward to that.

Set field to what? Where is the source value coming from - another field? And what is the indexing of that field?

This topic is 5038 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.