Server Maintenance This Week. ×

square boxes(�) appears instead of alpha-numeric characters.

This topic is 5081 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I can't figure out why square boxes similar to this one, , appears instead of valid characters on Table Views editing whenever I use the 'Ctrl-C', 'Ctrl-V' (Copy & Paste), etc. The problem came out when I customized my own Menu. I don't have problem on the 'Standard Filemaker Menus' (Tools/Custom Menus) option. Did I missed or messed-up something or somewhere? thanks in advance.

Edited by Guest

By the way, it feels like a bug (or at least an unexpected behavior). ctrl-C produces code 3 and ctrl-v produces code 22. And that is unintended and unwanted encoding. Windows programs strip it out but other programs might not. I am unsure how Mac deals with the issue, since they are more Unix based, right?

Regardless, if I type ctrl-C, I am not putting anything into the field (from a User perspective at least). I could even understand ctrl-v because we are pasting from the clipboard and who knows what it might contain from thousands of different programs each with their own encoding rules. But not ctrl-c. In my opinion, FileMaker should not insert junk.

Edited by Guest

• Newbies

I think it's an FM Bug coz there are no embedded button with scripts or script triggers on the table view fields I am editing. that square thing just literally erase all the contents of the field whenever I press the ctrl-c key combination to copy field contents. Same thing happens with ctrl-v.

Do FMI need to be informed about this?

It is an encoding issue and not specifically a bug. In theory, it is doing what it should do since copy/paste are removed in Custom Menu. However, it is very dangerous for windows users because they do not expect (or ever want) ctrl-c to INSERT something into their field. We highlight all text so when ctrl-c is evoked, it wipes out their prior entry.

And yes, FMI can fix it and should. As I said before, Windows protects from this when interacting between its various programs. FM should (and does) recognize the OS running it and should ignore the keystroke. We are still testing but I think it happens to any menu item with shortcut beginning with ctrl (which has been removed from menu).

I have pointed them to this link.

This topic is 5081 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.