Server Maintenance This Week. ×

data entry in a portal

Gambler

This topic is 8049 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I guess I misunderstood what a portal is an what a porta could do.

I viewed a portal as another table (file) and that you could set a portal up as a table (sub-table) inside of a table and that one could then directly enter records into that sub-table.

So far, I'm only able to use a portal to display related records. Is there a way to enter new records into a portal while it is being displayed on the main layout? What am I missing???

Thank you

If you have defined your relationship to the related file to "allow creation of related records". A blank row will appear in the portal. When you enter data into the fields placed on the portal row, a record in the related file will be created.

-bd

Thanks -- I realized after my post that there was a function to allow me to do what I needed.

What I'm trying to do is both records are related on the ContactID#. However, I create the ContactID# in the Main file and when I select the secondary file ContactNotes, I wish to assign ContactID# to the new record in the ContactNotes File.

This is a ONE to MANY relationship. There can be many notes for a single contact.

Your help is appreciated.

This topic is 8049 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.