Portal- only 1 record appears

Jack

This topic is 8041 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have 1 file with a list of Purchase Orders that I want to view in a portal.

I have a self join relationship of

record no to record no

The portal is set to show 5 records, but it only

shows the current record.

The fields all seem to be correct ...

Please help.

Thanks.

Jack

A self-join based on record number should produce only one record, since presumably no two records have the same number. At least we hope they don't. What is it you are expecting to see.

Also be sure that all fields are completely within the portal.

HTH

Old Advance Man

As OAM says, record number implies a unique value, so no point in using a self-join there. Maybe you're wanting to see all the PO's for a given customer? In that case your self-join would be by Cust. Number, not record number.

Another common mistake is that you have to select fields from the relationship to put into the portal, not fields from the current file -- even though they're "the same," they're not the same as far as the portal is concerned.

Your method will work. A more conventional way is to create a Constant field, Calculation, numeric result, equal to 1. Make a self relationship with Constant field equal to itself (the same field on both sides, in other words.

Then create a portal using this relationship, and populate the portal with the related field or fields, also using the same relationship.

More elegant (only requires one field, and the field does not have to be reset if the file is cloned, which your solution requires), and the Constant field is a workhorse for setting up pipelines for data exchange among other files as well.

Thank you OAM and Fitch for your replies.

I wanted to see all the records...

and I finally got it by using a global field joined to a field with the same contents as the global field.

Is that the way to do it?

Thanks

jack

This topic is 8041 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.