Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM 5 Mac Connect ODBC to SQLServer

adunn

This topic is 8464 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

We have a department on campus that has determined to stay with FM on their Macs, even though the campus is moving to SQLServer. I'm currently evaluating FM 5 Pro for ODBC connectivity. On the PC, I have no problem connecting to a SQLServer DB, but the FileMaker website says that there is no ODBC driver for the Mac for SQLServer.

Is there a way to get a Mac running FM 5 Pro to connect to a SQLServer DB? Do any other flavors of FM 5 do this?

Thanks in advance.

Tony Dunn

------------------

Technology and Learning Program

CSU, Chico, CA

quote:

Originally posted by adunn:

We have a department on campus that has determined to stay with FM on their Macs, even though the campus is moving to SQLServer. I'm currently evaluating FM 5 Pro for ODBC connectivity. On the PC, I have no problem connecting to a SQLServer DB, but the FileMaker website says that there is no ODBC driver for the Mac for SQLServer.

Is there a way to get a Mac running FM 5 Pro to connect to a SQLServer DB? Do any other flavors of FM 5 do this?/B]

This totally depends upon what you are actually trying to do. I can think of any number of ways to accomplish this connectivity, but all of them depend on what you are trying to accomplish.

P.S. Sorry to hear that you are moving to SQL Server, it is by far the worst database server application on the market. I have worked with almost every other one, and I would choose any of them over SQL Server. Best of luck to you.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

• Newbies

quote:

Originally posted by captkurt:

This totally depends upon what you are actually trying to do. I can think of any number of ways to accomplish this connectivity, but all of them depend on what you are trying to accomplish.

P.S. Sorry to hear that you are moving to SQL Server, it is by far the worst database server application on the market. I have worked with almost every other one, and I would choose any of them over SQL Server. Best of luck to you.

All we need to do is connect the people using FMP5 on Macs so that they can run queries on the remote SQL data in order to generate printable FM reports. The intention is to use FM5's ODBC SQL query abilities. Nothing fancy or esoteric. I know nada about FM. Thanks.

------------------

Technology and Learning Program

CSU, Chico, CA

This topic is 8464 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.