Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filemaker Server 9 password lost

This topic is 5061 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

Although I have search in FMForums I have not found the solution to a lost password issue in FMServer 9.

Client has lost the password and also has done some sort of "manual based correction attempts". The result is an "Unable to launch the application" dialog box when I tried to open the Console.

Two issues worry me:

- Although the files are served an apparently work well, is there any real and inmediate risks in such a configuration for the data?

-How to access to the heart of FMServer in order to set new user/password to the FMServer Console.

Server is Xserve with 10.6-server and other services inside running.

Any documented issues about this? Workarounds?

Thanks in advance.

In FMS9 there is a little security hole that you might be able to exploit. Go to the server log and look for the entries where the server started last. In the middle of the part where all the parameters of the current installation and setup are reported you find the information about admin name and password.

Regards Volker

Re: I am talking about the FMS log, not the MacOS Server.

Edited by Guest

I have thought about a solution that, perhaps, some of you may take into consideration. I mean please advice me if I am going to make a mistake, lose data o simply other approaches will be less painful.

I think that the main issue here is to stop the FMServer 9. I have to face the problem tomorrow so this is the method I am going to try.

I expect that if I restart the server in firewire mode, that is the Target Disk Mode I think I would be able to access the disk and delete the apropiate files.

What I am not sure about is if there is any files o config stuff outside the FMServer that I should have to delete or deactivate in order to make, later on, a clean instalation with appropiate password etc. Somehow to be sure that the lost password doesn't remain after such a work.

Any wiseful advise is required :)

Thanks in advance, as usual.

[email protected]

Jorge,

on an x-serve with MaxOS server, go to terminal, run the commands (fmsadmin...) to check the FileMaker server status, then stop the server. (user and password detection as described yesterday). This advice was given by Steven already.

If you do not have the user/password, got to your backup folder (default Macintosh HD/Library/FileMaker Server/Data/Backups/) and check for the latest copies. If you cannot stop the FileMaker Server your databases might by corrupt after you forcefully shut down the service.

Now either stop FMS processes via the Activity Monitor and deinstall. You certainly want to stop the whole server for a reboot. After deinstallation the above mentioned Data directory will still be there, but only the files in the Backups directory were closed properly.

Good luck

Volker

Edited by Guest
typos

This topic is 5061 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.