Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Trailing Grand Summary not adding up!

cbs_marcomm

This topic is 5064 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a FM10 report titled "Department Total" where I am tracking the yearly budget, amount spent to date and amount remaining for 3 departments. The report is small - 4 lines (each department line, and then a trailing grand summary, which will show me the grand total budget, grand total spent and grand total remaining).

the numbers for each department line are showing up as correct, but the "trailing grand summary" line is not showing the total/sum of all departments, but instead, is showing only the last record department information. The Spent and Remaining fields are calculations.

Example:

Department

Budget

Spent

Remaining

Public Relations

$220,000

$91,687.74

$128,312.26

Communications

$765,000

$19,069.65

$745,930.35

Departmental

$399,850

$35,068.69

$364,781.31

Therefore, the trailing grand summary's for Spent and Remaining should be:

Grand Total Spent: $145,876.08

Grant Total Remaining: $1,239,023.90

But, instead, the number showing in the grand summary field is just the line for the Department information (depending on how it is sorted).

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

I've moved your post to the proper subforum.

It's impossible to tell if you've defined your fields correctly and the layout parts correctly. You could, perhaps, post a screen shot of the layout in layout mode.

You should have three summary fields that are in a body part, a leading sub-summary by Department, and then a trailing grand summary part with the three summary fields.

• Newbies

Thank you for moving my post to the proper forum. I've attached two screen shots - one in layout mode, the other in preview mode.

any further help would be much appreciated. does it matter that the Spent and Remaining fields in the body are calculations? The trailing grand "budget" field is a portal from another table and that is correct - so it's just the trailing Spent and Remaining fields that don't add up.

screen_layout.jpg

screen_preview.jpg

You've really put together a cross-tab more than a sub-summary. Sub-summary reports use, um, summary fields. To calc the difference btw two summary fields, you use GetSummary ( ). They report on records found (so you could find a certain date range first).

You've used calc fields. Placing them in sub-summary, and trailing grand summary parts does nothing. Just looked up, you don't have anything in the sub-summary part. Doesn't matter, since you don't have summary fields.

Why are you using a portal?

By having Show Sample Data on when you captured Layout Mode, I can't see the field names, but what I really need are field definitions.

In any case, I think you should read up on Subsummary reporting and search the forum for cross-tab reports.

Edited by Guest

• Newbies

As you can, I’m not very clear on what I’m doing. I’ve attached a new screen shot without the Sample Data showing.

Since I’m more doing a cross-tab with calculations, is there a way I could make the “Grand Total Spent” and “Grand Total Remaining” a calculation field, instead of a sub-summary since Dept Total Spent and Dept Total Remaining are calculation fields

However, Dept Total Spent is summary of another field which is not shown on this layout “Project Total Invoices, sorted by department, gives me the Dept Total Spent field. Is there a way I could do a summary and sort based on that information.

Thank you so much for your help and patience.

filemaker.jpg

This topic is 5064 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.