Four Portals

miramaya

This topic is 8470 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

The information got messed up in previous posting:

I want to show in one layout four different portals, each showing a subset of related records. These are the tables:

PROJECT

projectID

project name

REL_DETAILS

index

rel_projectID

type [A,B,C,D]

item

detail

The first portal should show all record entries for 'item' were type is "A", the second were type is "B" and so on.

Would appreciate any comment.

Regards.

You'll need four relationships. On the left side these can be based upon four text globals set to "A", "B", "C", and "D" or four calculated text fields = "A", etc. On the right side of the relationship all will relate to "Type" in the related file.

If you don't need to see all record sets at the same time, use a single portal, a global text field on the left side of a single relationship and change it to "A", "B", "C" or "D" with a radio button.

If your records are displayed by ProjectID AND Type use a calculated field on each side of the relationship with ProjectID & Type, but leave out the space!

For four portals, the left side fields would be:

ProjectID & "A"

ProjectID & "B"

ProjectID & "C"

ProjectID & "D"

the right side field in the related file:

rel_projectID & type

If you use the single portal approach, make the calculated field on the left:

ProjectID & gType

where gType is a text global.

-bd

Many thanks to LiveOak and Signal. The 'four portal' solution works. But, when I try to create a related record through a portal I get an error message, when I try it through related fields I alsways create only a record in the main file PROJECT.

Would appreciate any advice.

Regards.

quote:

Originally posted by LiveOak:

You'll need four relationships. On the left side these can be based upon four text globals set to "A", "B", "C", and "D" or four calculated text fields = "A", etc. On the right side of the relationship all will relate to "Type" in the related file.

If you don't need to see all record sets at the same time, use a single portal, a global text field on the left side of a single relationship and change it to "A", "B", "C" or "D" with a radio button.

If your records are displayed by ProjectID AND Type use a calculated field on each side of the relationship with ProjectID & Type, but leave out the space!

For four portals, the left side fields would be:

ProjectID & "A"

ProjectID & "B"

ProjectID & "C"

ProjectID & "D"

the right side field in the related file:

rel_projectID & type

If you use the single portal approach, make the calculated field on the left:

ProjectID & gType

where gType is a text global.

-bd

quote:

Originally posted by LiveOak:

What error message do you get? -bd

Well, if all the portals set-up to allow the creation of related records the error message is: "The relationship_A_Details is not valid and must be corrected before this field can be modified."

Since the display in the four portals works well [the portal displays only type and item], I set-up a fifth relationship for all related records and I created four fields for:

rel_projectID

type

item

detail. Through these field I wanted to create the related records.

So far I have not managed to create these related records through these related fields.

Would appreciate any advice.

Regards.

This topic is 8470 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.