Installing Filemaker

kochi65

This topic is 7517 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

The company that I work for is interested in web enabling various databases. Our web servers are Netscape Enterprise Server 2.0 with NES 3.5.1 installed. The operating system on the server is Irix 6.4 (Unix).

Does anyone if we can install and run Filemaker our current system or would we need to purchase a new server or operating system. I am not a server/operating system techie so any help would be greatly appreciate!

quote:

Originally posted by kochi65:

The company that I work for is interested in web enabling various databases. Our web servers are Netscape Enterprise Server 2.0 with NES 3.5.1 installed. The operating system on the server is Irix 6.4 (Unix).

Does anyone if we can install and run Filemaker our current system or would we need to purchase a new server or operating system. I am not a server/operating system techie so any help would be greatly appreciate!

Filemaker runs on WinNT and MacOS. You would would need one of those systems to actually run FMP.

If buying a new system for this, I would suggest a Mac as they require significiently less maintainance and setup than a WinNT system. FMP works over TCP/IP anyway, and file sharing should not be enabled.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:FmPro@home.com

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This topic is 7517 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By OSXS
      Hello all:
      Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I haven't found an answer to the problem so far. Here it is:
      I have a db created in FMP 5, and its shared as Entry Only in the Web Companion. In IE 5 and 4 on Mac and Win, the Entry Only layout works. On Netscape (Mac, Win I haven't tried yet) I get a short attempt to build the Entry Only layout, wich terminates prematurely, and then builds a List View layout, which allows full manipulation of the data. This is exactly what I don't want!! I need a 'data drop box' without further access to data for web users. The described problem occurs when connecting to FMPro Unlimited directly, or when connecting via FMWSC on OSXS.
      Any hints would be highly appreciated!
      Cheers, and look out for OSX! It's sleek and fast!
      OSXS
    • By SteveK
      I have set up an Apache Web server running on a Mac OS X server and I have installed the Filemaker web connector. After following the instructions I have been asked to type the URL http://127.0.0.1/FMPro?config to set up the web connector on the server. When I type this I get the message "Not found. The reported URL/FMPro was not found on this server. Can anyone help.
    • By Vaughan
      FileMaker Inc recommends (and has reserved) port 591 for Web Companion. Try that.
    • By alkhall
      I am developing a web site that will be visited by 20 people a day, total hits will be in the 150 - 200 range. Same people, mutiple returns in a day. Help me!
    • By fastfritz
      Is there a tool that allows you to open a filemaker database with a password on windows nt? I don't want to use the default password option.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.