Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Forcing up Empty portal row

SayIT

This topic is 8500 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Dear FileMaker Pro's,

In my FMP db I'm using portals with scrolling window to display data from related databases. The empty portal for entry of a new record disappears when maximum amount of portal rows has been used. Users are forced to scroll down in order to add a new record. I do not want a button with go to last portal row which clutter up my layout. Is there a work around or a way to force this line up in the portal?

Anyone with a brilliant idea?

Rik

[This message has been edited by SayIT (edited May 16, 2000).]

• 7 months later...

I can't quite get my head around this one! I tend to agree with Birdman. Adding a row to a portal is the same as adding a New Record to the related database and that requires calling a script in the related database to create a new record or duplicate an existing record. If on the other hand you are wanting to increase the extent vertically of the portal on the layout each time an additional matching record is added to the related database then it can't be done as you are trying to alter the layout. The only way I can see of doing this would be to cover parts of the portal with container fields that would uncover it depending on whether a portal row contained any data. This would be pretty messy!

How about using global fields on the layout with the portal for the entry of new data. The graphics could even be set up to simulate a first portal row. An "Enter" button would run a script in the related file to create a new record and copy from the globals (use a constant = 1 matchin constant = 1 relationship from the related file to access the globals).

-bd

This topic is 8500 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.